Conservation Commission

Board Members

Robert J. Buckley

Derek F. Atherton

Noel G. Bon Tempo

Paul J. Braza

Michael A. Giampietro
Position: Chairman

Edward Ross

Joseph Zacchilli
Phone: (508) 634-2314
Contact by EMail


Mike Dean

Contact by EMail


Meeting Schedule: 3rd Thursday
Meeting Time: 7:00 pm
Location: Room 03
Address: Town Hall, 52 Main Street, Milford

The Milford Conservation Commission is responsible for the protection and preservation of natural resources in the Town. The seven members of the commission are appointed by the Selectmen to serve for a three-year term.

 The Commission administers, and is guided by, the Wetland Protection Act (MGL, Ch. 131, s40) and the Rivers Protection Act (Ch. 258 of the Acts of 1996). Any land-disturbing activity within the resource areas protected by these acts requires an application to the Conservation Commission with either a Notice of Intent or a Request for Determination of Applicability.

The Commission also devoted its time and resources to promoting the use and enjoyment of the Town's natural resources and was instrumental in the development of the Upper Charles Trail. In addition, each spring, the Commission stocks Louisa Lake with trout for the fishing enjoyment of the community.

Wetlands By-Law

When do I need to contact the Conservation Commission?
Anytime you are proposing to build, excavate, dredge or otherwise alter an area that is within 100 feet of a wetland or 200 feet of a river or stream.

What is the process to file with the Conservation Commission?
If your project qualifies as a “minor activity” under 310 CMR 10.02, you can file a Request for Determination of Applicability (RDA). Otherwise, applicants should file a Notice of Intent (NOI) or, if applicable, an Abbreviated NOI.
All applications are due two weeks before the scheduled public hearing. Conservation Commission meetings are held the third Thursday of every month.
Applicants are responsible for filing fees, advertising fees, and notification of all abutters within 100 feet of the project. Applicants are advised to hire an Engineer to assist with the preparation of the application, including a certified wetland delineation plan and details of all proposed mitigation.

How do I file an application?
Applicants can file electronically with the Massachusetts DEP through the MassDEP website (, or mail the application and fee to the DEP. Conservation Commission filing can be done by mail or in person at the Town Hall, Office of Planning and Engineering.

What should I expect from the Public Hearing?
The Conservation Commission will review the information and either close the hearing or request changes or additional information. Once the hearing is closed, an Order of Conditions will be issued. The Order is good for three years. Once the work is complete, the applicant is required to request a Certificate of Compliance from the Conservation Commission.

The following is a link to 310 CMR 10.00 (Wetlands Protection Act)